Mission, Vision and Values
Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) has the lead federal role in managing Canada's fisheries and safeguarding its waters.
The Canadian Coast Guard, a Special Operating Agency within DFO, is responsible for the programs and services that contribute to the safety, security and accessibility of Canada's waterways.
- supports strong economic growth in our marine and fisheries sectors by supporting exports and advancing safe maritime trade;
- supports innovation through research in expanding sectors such as aquaculture and biotechnology; and
- contributes to a clean and healthy environment and sustainable aquatic ecosystems through habitat protection, oceans management, and ecosystems research.
The Department's work is guided by five key pieces of legislation:
- the Oceans Act;
- the Fisheries Act;
- the Species at Risk Act;
- the Coastal Fisheries Protection Act; and
- the Canada Shipping Act, 2001 (Transport Canada-led).
To learn more about DFO's regulatory role, see Acts and Regulations and our Forward Regulatory Plan.
Through sound science, forward-looking policy, and operational and service excellence, Fisheries and Oceans Canada employees work collaboratively toward the following three strategic outcomes:
- Economically Prosperous Maritime Sectors and Fisheries;
- Sustainable Aquatic Ecosystems;
- Safe and Secure Waters.
To advance sustainable aquatic ecosystems and support safe and secure Canadian waters while fostering economic prosperity across maritime sectors and fisheries.
The Department’s values are based on the federal public sector values of:
- Respect for democracy
- Respect for people
Building on the foundation of the Values and Ethics Code for the Public Sector, the Fisheries and Oceans Canada Values and Ethics Code sets out the expectations for behaviour governing all activities the Department performs to fulfill its mandate. It is binding on all management and employees, and it requires that each DFO employee be familiar with its content.
To learn more about Fisheries and Oceans Canada’s activities, programs and services:
- Date modified: