The Department’s licensing services are now provided online through the National Online Licensing System.
The system is designed to allow you to perform your licensing transactions online:
- On your own behalf
- As a representative of a DFO client
- On behalf of an Organization
The system applies to holders of fishing licences managed by Fisheries and Oceans Canada, including:
- holders of commercial licences
- holders of commercial-communal licences
- holders of recreational fishing licences in Eastern Canada (Atlantic Canada and Quebec)
- International fishers and registered fish harvesters (including crew members)
First Time Users
The first step for a new user of any kind is to register on the system.
Some helpful tools to help you register:
- Before you register checklist
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Getting your GCKey Step-by-Step Guide
- Getting your GCKey Video Tutorial and transcript
- Self-registration – Registering a DFO Online Profile Step-by-Step Guide
Using the System – Helpful Tools
Once you are registered on the system, you can perform all of your licensing transactions online. This includes:
- Paying the fees associated with your fishing licence(s), vessel(s), or fisher registration card(s)
- Submitting licensing requests such as vessel transfers, etc.
- Printing your licensing documentation
- Appointing a representative to do business for you
- Appointing an individual to do business on behalf of your Organization
Below you will find a number of tools that will help you navigate the system and perform the licensing transactions that you require.
Nine detailed Step-by-Step Guides:
- Getting your GCKey (PDF, 450 KB)
- Recovering an Online Profile (PDF, 179 KB)
- Appointing a Representative (PDF, 292 KB)
- Renewing your Licence and Paying Your Fees (PDF, 310 KB)
- Printing Licence-related Documents (PDF, 69.5 KB)
- Getting a Delegation Code or a Public Identifier (PDF, 168 KB)
- Self-registration – Registering a DFO Online Profile (PDF, 664 KB)
- Submitting a Request and Checking the Request Status (PDF, 417 KB)
- Organization Management (PDF, 358 KB)
Frequently Asked Questions
User Training Manual:
The User Training Manual provides detailed information about all features of the system.
Fisheries-related organizations may also want to use the following materials to help their members register and use the national online licensing system:
National Online Licensing System! (document) (PDF, 705 KB)
Use this poster to remind your clients that licensing transactions must be done online using the system.
National Online Licensing System!
Still need help?
- Date modified: