Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) works to protect and conserve fishery resources to ensure a stable and sustainable fishing industry. The Department administers a number of programs and initiatives in support of these goals.
DFO manages fisheries in accordance with the roles and responsibilities outlined in the Fisheries Act, using credible, science-based, affordable and effective practices. Key priorities for fisheries management in Canada include:
- environmental sustainability;
- economic viability; and
- the inclusion of stakeholders in decision-making processes.
The core legislation guiding fisheries management is the Fisheries Act. In practice, DFO manages and protects fisheries resources by:
- fostering sustainable resource use;
- promoting Canadian conservation interests internationally;
- allocating fishery resources;
- respecting Aboriginal and treaty rights;
- enforcing the Fisheries Act; and
- regulating the use of fishery resources.
- Date modified: