The Department’s licensing services are now provided online through the National Online Licensing System.
The system is designed to allow you to perform your licensing transactions online:
- On your own behalf
- As a representative of a DFO client
- On behalf of an Organization
The system applies to holders of fishing licences managed by Fisheries and Oceans Canada, including:
- holders of commercial licences
- holders of commercial-communal licences
- holders of recreational fishing licences in Eastern Canada (Atlantic Canada and Quebec)
- International fishers and registered fish harvesters (including crew members)
First Time Users
The first step for a new user of any kind is to register on the system.
Some helpful tools to help you register:
- Before you register checklist
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Getting your GCKey Step-by-Step Guide
- Getting your GCKey Video Tutorial and transcript
- Self-registration – Registering a DFO Online Profile Step-by-Step Guide
Using the System – Helpful Tools
Once you are registered on the system, you can perform all of your licensing transactions online. This includes:
- Paying the fees associated with your fishing licence(s), vessel(s), or fisher registration card(s)
- Submitting licensing requests such as vessel transfers, etc.
- Printing your licensing documentation
- Appointing a representative to do business for you
- Appointing an individual to do business on behalf of your Organization
Below you will find a number of tools that will help you navigate the system and perform the licensing transactions that you require.
Nine detailed Step-by-Step Guides:
- Getting your GCKey (PDF version)
- Recovering an Online Profile (PDF version)
- Appointing a Representative (PDF version)
- Renewing your Licence and Paying Your Fees (PDF version)
- Printing Licence-related Documents (PDF version)
- Getting a Delegation Code or a Public Identifier (PDF version)
- Self-registration – Registering a DFO Online Profile (PDF version)
- Submitting a Request and Checking the Request Status (PDF version)
- Organization Management (PDF version)
Frequently Asked Questions
User Training Manual:
The User Training Manual provides detailed information about all features of the system.
Fisheries-related organizations may also want to use the following materials to help their members register and use the national online licensing system:
National Online Licensing System! (PDF document)
Use this poster to remind your clients that licensing transactions must be done online using the system.
National Online Licensing System!
Still need help?
- Date modified: