Southern Resident killer whales need our help. They are critically endangered and face an imminent threat. The global population is about 74.
Whales can be injured or killed by human-induced threats. Underwater noise, contaminants and lack of prey are affecting their ability to recover.
What are we doing about these threats?
- Keeping vessels at least 200 metres away
- Building capacity to help whales in distress
- Increasing efforts to look for whales
- Protecting areas where whales forage for prey
- Reducing fishing activity to increase prey
- Increasing research on contaminants
- Working with our partners
Together we’re working to protect Southern Resident killer whales.