Shellfish harvesting closures by region
Check before you dig! Make sure the area where you plan to harvest shellfish is open. When an area is officially “closed,” it is both illegal and unsafe to harvest shellfish from that area.
For the latest updates about closures in your area, choose a region from the list below:
- Local Fisheries and Oceans Canada offices (call during regular business hours)
- 1-866-431-3474 (24-hour recorded information line, not available outside the Pacific region)
General enquiries: 418-648-2239 (call during business hours)
24-hour recorded information lines:
- Lower St. Lawrence and Gaspé Peninsula
From Saint-Roch-des-Aulnaies to Cap-Gaspé: 1-800-463-0607*
From Cap-Gaspé to the Matapedia River: 1-800-463-4204*
- Charlevoix, North Shore, and Anticosti Island
From Isle-aux-Coudres to Baie-Trinité: 1-800-463-8558*
From Baie-Trinité to Natashquan: 1-800-463-1736*
From Natashquan to Blanc-Sablon: 1-800-463-3558*
- Magdalen Islands: 418-986-3882
* Number not available outside of this area.
The Gulf region includes all waters adjacent to New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, and Nova Scotia in the southern Gulf of St-Lawrence.
Please call the nearest Conservation and Protection Detachment.
The Maritimes region includes all waters adjacent to Nova Scotia on the Atlantic coast and Bay of Fundy, including New Brunswick.
Newfoundland and Labrador
- Date modified: