Selling and buying shellfish
Selling healthy shellfish
Always keep shellfish refrigerated between 0°C and 4°C (32 to 40°F) or frozen at -18°C (0°F) or colder
- Refrigerate immediately after delivery
- Keep shellfish containers cleaned with hot soapy water
- Staff must check refrigerator temperatures daily
- Staff must check shellfish displayed on ice every 2 hours or less
- Do not mix different species of shellfish or fish
- Shellfish kept in water or closed containers will suffocate and die
Buying healthy shellfish
Buy only from trusted retailers and restaurants. Live shellfish should have a shipper's tag
Are they good?
Fresh, healthy shellfish should have tightly closed shells or close when you tap them. Throw them away if they are open or if the shell is cracked or broken.
Selling and buying shellfish poster for print
Selling and buying shellfish poster for print (PDF)
- Date modified: