Services and information
How DFO protects important fish and marine mammal habitats and endangered marine species.
These areas contain ecologically-sensitive land or species that need extra protection.
The planning process and flexible management approaches supporting Canada’s marine resources.
How marine protected areas are established and managed under the Oceans Act.
MPAs and MPA networks provide many environmental and social benefits and cultural contributions.
The Government of Canada is working to expand its network of marine protected areas.
Maps of marine protected areas, areas of interest and marine bioregions across the country.
Learn about Canada’s approach to identifying Other Effective Area-Based Conservation Measures
What we are doing
Laws and regulations
- Oceans Act (1996)
- Fisheries Act (1985)
- Canada Wildlife Act (1985)
- Canada National Marine Conservation Areas Act (2002)
- National framework for Canada’s network of Marine Protected Areas (2011)
- Spotlight on Marine Protected Areas in Canada (2010)
- National framework for establishing and managing Marine Protected Areas (1999)
- Marine Protected Areas policy (1999)
- Date modified: