Services and information
Protection of important fish and marine mammal habitats and endangered marine species.
Areas that contain ecologically-sensitive land or species that need extra protection.
Canada’s approach to identifying other effective area-based conservation measures.
What we are doing
Laws and regulations
- Oceans Act (1996)
- Fisheries Act (1985)
- Canada Wildlife Act (1985)
- Canada National Marine Conservation Areas Act (2002)
- National framework for Canada’s network of Marine Protected Areas (2011)
- Spotlight on Marine Protected Areas in Canada (2010)
- National framework for establishing and managing Marine Protected Areas (1999)
- Marine Protected Areas policy (1999)
- Date modified: